Ask the Ubuntu Server team

Posted by kim0 // October 3rd, 2011 // Uncategorized

Ubuntu server 11.10 is shaping up to be a fantabulous release! Tons of hot new features are landing the biggest of which would be juju Ubuntu’s new orchestration and service management framework, orchestra for your automated deployment needs, Ubuntu Cloud infrastructure Ubuntu’s new private cloud based on OpenStack with an Ubuntu twist, and the new hotness that is ARM support!

Since we’re very close to the Oneiric release, I’m starting a series of articles about Ubuntu “Server Trenches”. I will be interviewing members from the Ubuntu server team, where you get to read all the juicy details of what the team has been working on. You also get the chance of asking away any questions you may have. I am starting the first article with Robbie Williamson the Ubuntu server engineering manager. He’ll give us a high level overview of Oneiric server features and things the team had worked on this past cycle, as well as future directions. In future articles we’ll zoom-in on features and meet more of the server team engineering members.

Robbie’s article should hit the wire this Thu 6th Oct, now here’s the deal, if you’d like to ask Robbie anything, leave me a comment right here with your questions. Robbie will try to answer as much of your questions as possible.

Early celebration of Oneiric? YES! the party has begun

34 Responses to “Ask the Ubuntu Server team”

1. t94xr says:

Any chance for a feature like a “ubuntu firewall” – like smoothwall but ubuntuwall in a way?

2. yash singh says:

why not a grub repair tool…??
    my dad works on windows (-_-)!!
    while I work on ubuntu (0_,0)
    everytime he reinstall windows.. my grub too is gone then i have to reinstall my whole OS.. which erases whole of my data..
    it’s such a pain.
    :’(
    T_T
    Y_Y

3. James Carthew says:

Will Ubuntu be targetting/planning a drop in replacement for Windows Active Directory Server/Exchange mail services, or Windows Small Business Server?

4. kim0 says:

I’m not too sure, but I think I saw a “ubuntu repair” mode while booted from the CD, and I think it had a grub reinstall mode. That was a while ago, so my memory is a bit hazy. Can someone confirm?

5. VP Gautham says:

Use EasyBCD in windows it can bring back grub………..!!!!! I’ve used it

6. gordon christie says:

id like to know how much better the new ubuntu is compared to the last version wil codecs for video etc be included or do i have to search for them also is there a user friendly version coming for those more used to windows as im trying to convince a windows user that linux is better

7. Whitepaper on how to replicate a windows DOMAIN enviroment via UBUNTU and I am all yours. A

8. dosmanak says:

I believe MPD is widely used music player. It would be great if ubuntu repository package was cofigured properly to play on pulseaudio. Or is there some good guide to do that?

9. mudassar says:

How do install any downloaded software which is in form of .rar archive

10. Joseph Mwema says:

I have used ubuntu server to achiever quite a number of objectives from setting up web servers,deploying backend MySQL databases,deploying backend Oracle 11gR2 to creating file servers equipped with Samba and I have always gotten satisfactory result with ubuntu server…I cant wait to lay my hands on the Oneiric server edition…I hope it has more to offer with new features

11. How can the Ubuntu Server Development Team make it easier to deploy a working server with reducing functionality?

12. aji t wibowo says:

Can Ubuntu open removeable drive with bitlocker encryption? in my office used it, but my own notebook can run win 7. I just got back to ubutu. Is there any chance it would run on Ubuntu?

13. kim0 says:

@Timothy, With or without reducing functionality .. sorry, could you clarify your question some more

14. Trevor says:

I have installed Ubuntu 10.4 on my computer. Everything is ok but the 3g modem. The help tell one what to do, but once done I still cant get onto the internet.

What is missing? Is there something I have to do still? I do have about 1 gig left on the pay as you go 3g modem from MTN.
    Cheers Trevor

15. kim0 says:

@Timothy: With or without reducing functionality .. sorry, could you clarify your question some more

16. NaveeN says:

Why do i see many EXE’s under /usr/lib/banshee/ ???

17. Ravi Sharan says:

Hello,
    Why and How is Linux Virus FREE ???

18. richardsith says:

any easy guide to create a ldap server with Ubuntu????
    thanks!

19. pinta says:

When will Ubuntu consume less power than Windows? When this will come true, I’ll come back!

20. can we have ADS on ubuntu and client pc’s on windows, as my team is comfortable and donot want to switch to ubuntu. if yes how can maintain the ADS on ubuntu

21. Deacon says:

Hi,

My family would like to switch to Ubuntu, and have one server computer with four partitions: one for Ubuntu Server, one for me, one for my mom, and the last for my dad, each one password protected. Can this be done, and easily?

22. Leandro says:

Congratulations for switch to OpenStack as main private cloud platform in Ubuntu. OpenStack is truly open source (not “open core”) and open project (not controlled by only one organization). Although needs some improvements in documentation, is a great platform, excellent choice!

23. Jono Bacon says:

Can’t wait for this!

24. abdul says:

When 3g modem connected and removed 3 times in usb port, after that usb ports does not detect them until restart system any solution? Its a problem while modem stick hangs and need to reconnect.

25. [...] Thanks Robbie, we got a bunch of questions from our readers in a previous article. Robbie will answer a bunch of those. If you’d like to talk more, you can always join [...]

26. [...] Thanks Robbie, we got a bunch of questions from our readers in a previous article. Robbie will answer a bunch of those. If you’d like to talk more, you can always join [...]

27. ChrisD says:

I installed Ubuntu server 11.04 and I want to install Icinga on it. I did a sudo aptitude install icinga and it installed an old version 1.2, but 1.5.2 is currently out. I went onto the icinga IRC channel and I was told to package up the code for my arch/version of Ubuntu. I think that means I need to compile it, Maybe? How would I do this? Also for the other admins that would like the newer version how would you get a new packake into the server repository?

Thanks the help
    Chris

• kim0 says:

Hi Chris,
      Asking for support style questions in comments is not your best option. Try visiting #ubuntu-server on freenode irc and asking or using the ubuntu forums
      cheers

28. Eddie Bachle says:

One of the crucial things that I’ve found I want more clarification on is what is the best partition configuration for a whole assortment of applications. For both security and easy of upgrade or migration, how should a single hard disk volume or logical volume be set up? Also, how should one set up user accounts in Ubuntu for best security with web applications?

• kim0 says:

Hi Eddie,

cheers

• Eddie Bachle says:

Thanks so much for the insight! I’ve been sorta looking for insight into how to best get this kind of information, so your advice is really appreciated.

29. Mert says:

is there a stabil way to i̇nstall rtai on Ubuntu? i find lots of guide but they use olere kernel versions which we cant find from kernel.org …

and ever uses opencv libraries on rtai-Ubuntu? How ?
    Thanks in advance, we love U Ubuntu team!!!